Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Birthday America!

When I started typing in the subject for this post, blogger auto-completed it for me. Just another reminder that this is the second year in a row that I haven't been in the States for the 4th of July. Its quite a shame really, since I do love the holiday. I think it ties for my favorite (Thanksgiving is pretty awesome too, I love cranberry sauce). And its great because it has no religious ties, so anyone and everyone who considers themselves an American can celebrate.

But instead of joining the MIT alum party in the south of the city, or going to an expat bar, I met up with my favorite American and didn't mention the holiday once. Instead we enjoyed all the things that Paris has to offer, including my first sighting this trip of another famous Parisian landmark (look in the background...)


And we found shady quiet fountains to admire.


As always, my Parisienne spiritual guide had found these places long ago, but luckily for me she loves sharing them with her bumbling American friend.



And she documented me for her blog. The two MIT girls, the two scientists (well, one still in training), the two amies.


And just to make sure to celebrate the 4th a little bit, I ate American for dinner.


Weirdly enough, McDonalds in New Zealand was way better than this McDonalds.

Happy 4th of July, America.

No comments:

Post a Comment