Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Happy May 1st!

May 1st is Labor Day in Europe, so I don't have work.  Everything is closed though, so I'm spending the day catching up on cooking and cleaning at my apartment.

The flower of Labor Day is the Lily of the Valley.  Apparently the custom started as "good luck" in the 1500s and then in more recent centuries the flowers were given to workers protesting around May 1st as good luck by the townspeople.

Lily of the Valley = Muguet (pronounced MOO-GAY)



This is a beautiful (and huge!) display of flowers in the window of a flower shop in the 8th district.  Lily of the Valley remind me of my Grandparents, who had the flowers in their yard and we used to pick them when we visited.  My parents still have some divisions of their plants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment