Sunday, February 5, 2012

Snow at last

This morning, I woke up to this sight outside of my window:


Snow finally came to Paris! As I ran my errands, I snapped some pictures.


Luckily it was barely a dusting, so the metro was still running. Since it is the first Sunday of the month, the museums were open for free. Today I went to Musée de l'Orangerie, the museum which holds Monet's massive round waterlily paintings.

The museum is in the middle of Paris, near the Concorde. The snow was already almost completely gone around the Obelisk.


Outside of the museum there are several sculptures. I liked this one by Rodin of two people in a passionate kiss.


Inside the museum, the Monets were AMAZING!!! What beautiful rooms!


I read in the guide that Monet donated them to the French State so that Parisians would have a tranquil place to escape the intensity of city life. This still holds true almost a hundred years later!

No comments:

Post a Comment